Lecture slides

Here are drafts of my slides for the course. During May and early June 2018, I expect to change them. I know that there is too much here.

My first lecture is an introduction to the topic as a whole. Also on Monday, I'll discuss the simplest logic in the world, the logic of sentences All x are y.

On Tuesday, the topic will be extended syllogistic logics, including logics with verbs, relative clauses, negation, and existential assertions. Here is a worksheet on the semantics of verbs and relative clauses.

In the middle of the week, I want to present a lot of logics, and then talk on logics for reasoning about the sizes of sets . This is a topic that goes beyond first-order logic in some ways.

The last two lectures are on monotonicity. First, I argue here that we cannot simply work with fragments to do inference on text as it comes; we need to do more. My suggestion is to uses parses trees from CCG. So I introduced categorial grammar on day 4. In the last class, I cover preorders, CCG, and the the algorithm to polarize a CCG parse tree.